The success of all immigration and refugee programs in Canada in 2017 ensures the continuity and improvement of these programs in 2018. As the new year comes, the Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) have announced their reopening of the Parents and Grandparents program (PGP)
What is the Parents and Grandparents program?
The PGP is a program that allows Canadian Citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their parents and grandparents to immigrate to Canada as Canadian permanent residents. The acceptance criteria depend on both the sponsor and the parent and/or grandparent.
when to apply?
The IRCC announced that an “Interest to Sponsor online form” will be available online from Jan. 2, 2018 at 12 pm EST until Feb. 1, 2018 at 12 pm EST. sponsors should fill that online form and the IRCC will randomly select a specific number of sponsors to be accepted in this years PGP. accepted sponsors will receive an invitation to apply to sponsor their parents and grandparents. Sponsors will have 90 days to complete the application and provide all supporting documents. All applicants will be notified whether they got accepted as sponsors or not.
Eligibility criteria for sponsors:
- At least 18 years old.
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Meet the income requirements
- Support that person and their needs financially
- Meet the minimum necessary income level for this program by submitting notices of assessment issued by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) in support of their sponsorship.
- Demonstrate that you have met the minimum necessary income level for three consecutive years. If you are married or in a common-law relationship, the income of both persons can be included
- Signing a sponsorship agreement that commits the sponsor to provide financial support for the sponsored person for up to 20 years.
The Parents and Grandparents program is not the only way to bring your parents or grandparents into Canada. For more information on how you can bring relatives to Canada, please Contact us, or send us an Email at firstname.lastname@example.org